Ten Verses About Fatherhood
What Scripture teaches concerning dads
The Bible has a lot to say about dads, from teaching on the fatherhood of God to practical insights on godly parenting. As Father’s Day approaches, here are 10 verses to think about, encourage dads with, and even consider using in your services.
From all of us at Influence, we wish the dads among us a wonderful Father’s Day!
- As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him (Psalm 103:13).
- Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them (Psalm 127:4-5).
- The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them (Proverbs 20:7).
- The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him (Proverbs 23:24).
- Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? … If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him! (Luke 11:11,13).
- But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him (Luke 15:20).
- Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4).
- Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged” (Colossians 3:21).
- For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12).
- Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! (Hebrews 12:9).