Understanding Generation Z
David Kinnaman shares insights about the next, next generation from Barna Group’s newest report
Generation Z is the name of the demographic cohort born between 1999 and 2015. It is a large, diverse generation, whose ideas, experiences and values present both challenges and opportunities for Christian ministry.
In this podcast, Influence magazine executive editor George P. Wood talks to David Kinnaman about the new Barna Group report, Gen Z: The Culture, Beliefs and Motivations Shaping the Next Generation.
Kinnaman is president of Barna Group and coauthor of numerous books about how the next generation views Christianity, including unChristian, You Lost Me, and Good Faith.
Episode 125 Notes
- 00:00 Introduction of podcast topic
- 00:32 MEGA Sports Camp ad copy
- 01:10 Welcome to David Kinnaman
- 01:47 Why pastors and other church leaders should pay attention to generational research
- 04:00 Demographics of Generation Z
- 07:18 Big themes of Barna’s Gen Z report
- 12:10 Nominal Christianity vs. biblical worldview
- 15:51 Diversity of race/ethnicity and gender/sexuality
- 21:22 Materialistic values
- 25:04 Best practices for ministry to Generation Z
- 27:55 Gen Z and Barna Trends 2018
- 29:04 Conclusion