the shape of leadership

FAQ: Can a Part or All of a Church’s Payment to an Evangelist Be Designated as a Housing Allowance?

Doug Clay answers frequently asked questions concerning church business practices

Doug Clay on April 4, 2017

Yes. Even if the church only pays an evangelist on one occasion, this payment, or a portion thereof, may be designated as a housing allowance.

This designation must be made prior to payment for the designation to be effective. The taxable amount listed in box 7 of the Form 1099-MISC would be the total amount paid, less the amount designated as a housing allowance.

The amount paid as the housing allowance is not required to be reported on the Form 1099-MISC; however, we would recommend providing a separate letter to the recipient that identifies the amount of the housing allowance not included on the 1099.

Don't miss an issue, subscribe today!

Trending Articles

Advertise   Privacy Policy   Terms   About Us   Submission Guidelines  

Influence Magazine & The Healthy Church Network
© 2020 Assemblies of God