How Churches Can Support Foster Parents
Jay Mooney and Johan Mostert outline a congregational strategy for meeting the twin problems of America’s foster care system
May is National Foster Care Month.
In today’s episode, Influence magazine executive editor George P. Wood talks with Jay Mooney and Johan Mostert about how churches can support foster care parents and thus solve the twin problems of America’s foster care system: capacity and stability.
Jay Mooney is executive director of COMPACT Family Services, formerly Assemblies of God Family Services Agency. Johan Mostert is director of COMPACARE, one of COMPACT’S initiatives.
Episode 139 Notes
- 00:00 Introduction to podcast
- 00:05 TruFire Curriculum sponsor ad
- 01:17 Introduction of Jay Mooney and Johan Mostert
- 01:39 The size and nature of America’s foster care problem
- 05:19 What happens when kids enter foster care
- 08:36 The twin problems of capacity and stability
- 13:35 How can churches can help solve the foster care problem
- 17:15 What church members can do to come alongside foster parents
- 19:29 How to access the COMPACARE systems manual for your church
- 22:55 The COMPACARE strategy is low-cost and scalable
- 28:12 More information about COMPACT Family Services
- 31:01 Conclusion